Thomas Longworth (1848-1904), Junior Warden

Thomas was the second son of Solomon Longworth (1817-1895) of Darwen, Lancashire. His father became a cotton magnate who worked on projects with Richard Thompson. Thomas went into the family business. He married Mary Duckworth from Blackburn on 20th April 1882 and took up residence in King Street, Whalley. By 1901 they had moved to Oak Hill, Whalley close to what was his father’s home of Clerk Hill.

As with the Thompsons newspaper articles around the turn of the 20th century make mention of the Longworths taking part and on occasion, financially supporting numerous local projects within the Whalley community. Here are tthree examples:-

As Abbey Lodge’s first-ever Junior Warden he attained the Master’s Chair two years later in 1896. His Founders’ Jewel is on display in the Lodge Room. In the accompanying photograph he also proudly displays a Royal Arch Jewel. Abbey Chapter No. 2529 wasn’t consecrated until 1914 so he must have been in a Chapter elsewhere perhaps at Padiham. Thomas was awarded the Provincial honour of Past Provincial Grand Warden.

Arthur Longworth (1853-1922), Treasurer

Arthur was the fourth son of Solomon Longworth (1817-1895) of Darwen, Lancashire and was born at Langho. His father became a cotton magnate who worked on projects with Richard Thompson in Blackburn, Great Harwood and Padiham. Like his brother Thomas, Arthur went into the family business. He married Susan Margaret Peterkin from Blackburn in 1887 and took up residence in Brooks Lane, Whalley. By 1901 they had moved into Clerk Hill, Whalley after the death of Solomon his father.

As with the Thompsons newspaper articles around the turn of the 20th century make mention of the Longworths taking part in, and, on occasion, financially supporting,  numerous local projects within the Whalley community (see above). In 1912, Arthur was a Founder of Whalley Golf Club along with other Abbey Lodge members such as Dr J M Postlethwaite.

He became Worshipful Master of Abbey Lodge’s in 1898. His Founders’ Jewel is on display in the Lodge Room. Arthur was promoted to Past Provincial Senior Warden in 1902. He returned to the Master’s Chair for another year in 1915. Arthur was awarded the Grand Lodge rank of Past Grand Deacon in 1921. He was also a Founding Member of Abbey Chapter, No. 2529 in 1914 taking the office of Treasurer.

He is buried at St. Mary’s Parish Church, Whalley.