2018 – a Year to Remember
It’s nice to look back at times past and for Whalley Freemasons 2018 had some great highs but also a low or two.
- Abbey Lodge welcomed 3 new members (initiates) in 2018. This means that the Stewards List now has six members.
- The Whalley Historical Society visited the Union Club in January for the second time. Photos here.
- With the Installation of W Bro Ray Evans into the Master’s Chair in May, Abbey Lodge has a succession of ‘light blues’ through all the progressive offices with the Stewards mentioned above to follow. Photos here.
- Abbey Lodge’s social events have gone from strength to strength attracting young and old alike and at the same time raising funds for Masonic and non-Masonic charities to boot. Here are just a few we have enjoyed:-
– Ladies Night
– Beetle Drive
– Race Night
– Sunday Lunch
– Christmas Quiz
- Priory Mark Lodge received its first-ever banner at a dedication in December. Photos here.
- The 59th Postlethwaite Dinner was held by Abbey Lodge in December at Whalley Golf Club
- Members from all Lodges meeting at Whalley took part in the village’s Remembrance Day/Armistice Day events which went under the title of ‘Whalley Remembers‘.
We might have missed one or two highs that occurred in 2018. To jog our memory we have a photographic archive which you are welcome to browse.
Always a warm welcome at Lancashire’s Little Gem
(Whalley Masonic Hall aka Union Club)
- All Whalley Freemasons were shocked at the sad passing of W Bro John ‘Cooperman‘ Cooper and his lovely wife Susan whilst on holiday in Egypt. Cooperman was Abbey Lodge’s hard-working Charity Steward who had raised approximately £40k for charity through an annual clay pigeon shoot. He also raised funds in other ways giving Abbey Lodge a reputation as a supporter of local good causes. He and Sue will be sorely missed.
We put togethera photo album in tribute to John and Sue that can be viewed here
- Also departed to the Grand Lodge above during 2018 was W Bro Ken Lawson who was Worshipful Master of Abbey Lodge in 1982.
- The Priory Mark banner mentioned above was sponsored by a regular visitor to the Lodge who sadly couldn’t be present at the dedication ceremony. W Bro Cyril Kennerley passed away on Boxing Day 2018.
All these Brethren will be sorely missed and our thoughts and prayers go out to their families.
2019 – What’s in Store for us in Whalley?
- Abbey Lodge have a new candidate for membership and other gentlemen as possibilities.
- The Lancashire Scouting Lodge of Allegiance No. 6394 will start meeting at the Union Club in 2019
- The inaugural Cooperman Memorial Shoot will take place on 15 August 2019 at Coniston Hotel’s Shooting Ground.
- Abbey Lodge celebrates 125 years of continuous existence on 26 September 2019.
If you want to know more about Freemasonry in general or what we are about in Whalley please get in touch through our Contact Us page. We would love to have you visit us for a look around and a chat.